Tuesday 13 March 2012

TEA AT BLACK POOL


Mum’s missing.  I can’t see her anywhere.  When I went into the sea she was on the beach, watching me.  Now she’s nowhere to be seen.

Oh dear!  Have I lost her?  The gulls start squawking.  I’m not sure what they’re saying.  Can they see her, from up there?

I must find Mum.  Wherever is she?  If only I had wings!  Then I could be high up, like the gulls, seeing everything.  As it is, I am running as fast as I can.  Is she over by that black pool?  No.  I’m now at the top of the pebble mountain and can see a big brown dog by the pool, thinking about having a swim.  His human throws a ball for him, away from the water, and the dog goes after it.

I run to the little bridge.  Still no sign of Mum.  There are other humans nearby, but mine isn’t among them.

She wouldn’t go home without me … would she?  I don’t think she would yet don’t know that she wouldn’t.    

This is worrying.  Why did I take my eyes off my Mum?  I should have kept at least one eye on her.  Then she wouldn’t be lost.  Then I wouldn’t be feeling so worried.

Maybe she’s over by the cliffs.  If she’s sitting over there I might not see her from here.  My paws take off again and I’m half way across the pebbles when I hear: “Sam, Sam!”

I stop as soon as I can and turn to see where her voice is coming from.  To my surprise I find that she’s standing by a gate at the top of a ridge I hadn’t even noticed.

There’s something else I hadn’t noticed: beyond the ridge, I see as I approach it, is a house.  This is the first time I’ve seen a house on a beach.  Mum smiles as she asks: “Did you think you’d lost me?  You’ll know now how I feel each time I think you’re lost after you try to fly with the gulls and disappear into the distance.  Come and meet Jessie and Wally.”

We go through the gate and into a garden before entering the house through the kitchen door.  “So this is Sam!” says a friendly voice.  I look up and like the lady I see.  Placing my paw on one of her feet, I pant to tell her that a drink would be welcome.  “Oh, what a darling you are!” Jessie says, her eyes admiring me.  “Let’s get you some water, shall we?”

After I’ve drunk thirstily Jessie puts the kettle on for tea.  I’ve seen Mum do that and don’t really understand why humans prefer tea to water.  I’ve tried it and wasn’t bothered after my first taste.

“And who have we here?” asks a deep voice.  It belongs to a man who bends down to look at me closely.  Then he puts his nose so that it is touching my nose.  I draw back in my surprise.

“Oh, Wally!” says Jessie.  “Rubbing noses, Eskimo-like, with the grandchildren is one thing – but don’t expect Sam to react as they do.  Let’s all get to the table and have tea, shall we?”

Does that ‘all’ include me?  “You’ll be having your tea at home, later,” Mum says.  “But if you lie there and behave while we eat, I believe Jessie has a treat in mind for you.”

“Poor Sam needn’t wait until we’ve eaten,” Jessie tells her.  “Not after all his exertions on the beach and in the sea.  Here’s a juicy bone to tide him over till his supper-time!”

As everybody tucks in, including me, I can see I was right to like Jessie …




No comments:

Post a Comment