Thursday 8 March 2012

STORIES DOG

I like telling stories dog. Or should that be dog stories? I'm new to this, so I'm not sure.  Today is an odd day.  Mum and I are visiting her friend, Yvonne, who is unhappy because she has lost her cat.

But the cat is not lost!  I know, because I am watching him.  Peter is doing his usual thing.  When he comes in, he goes to the sofa and jumps up on to the arm at this end.  Then he stretches before walking slowly across the top of the sofa to the end farthest from the window and settling himself.

He always does this.  It's a habit of his.  And he just passed right by me before jumping up.  But nobody noticed - other than me, that is!

Now Mum and Yvonne are talking and I'm listening in.

"Sam's behaving strangely," says Mum.  "Look at him."

(By the way, there's nothing strange about my behavior.   I'm simply lying here observing things!)

"You're just saying that to take my mind off Peter," Yvonne tells her.

"No, I'm not.  Watch his eyes and general demeanor.  I reckon he can see Peter."

"See him?  Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, you know what they say about dogs ... "

"No.  What?"

"That their vision is very different from ours - that they can often see spirits and ... and such like.  And Sam's eyes have been following the exact route Peter takes every night when he comes in from outside.  Look at him now.  He's gazing at the spot where Peter always curls up to sleep.  Remember how they stared at each other sometimes, as if trying not to blink? That's what they're doing right this minute - I'm sure of it."

Now they're both looking at me.  I feel a bit sheepish.  Why on earth can't they see what I'm seeing?

"Really?" asks Yvonne.  "You aren't just saying that to make me miss Peter less?"

"You should know me better than that - and learn from Sam.  When I first had him, I thought I'd be the teacher and he the pupil.  But mostly it's the other way round and he's the one doing the teaching.  So believe him and me that you haven't lost Peter.  We both just lack Sam's vision."

Well, how about that?  It doesn't seem to matter that I can't tell the difference between dog stories and stories dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment