Thursday 22 March 2012

FRIENDSHIP


I’m happy to have Doodle for my friend.  As Maggie and Mum are now friends too I can see plenty of walks ahead.

Today, though, we’re visiting a different friend of Mum’s.  This one has lost her husband.  Her name is Barbara and she’s crying when we arrive at her house.  “I miss him so much!” she tells us.

I love Barbara because she always talks to me as well as to Mum.  She has a cat, but I don’t mind that.  I do mind that she’s so sad.  Once she and Mum are sitting down, I sit beside Barbara and put my paw on her knee.

“Oh, bless you, Sam!” she says, stroking my head.  “You always know how to comfort me.”  Then she tells Mum: “I can’t bear to look at Archie’s empty chair.  I keep expecting to see him there.”

I look where she won’t look … and there’s Archie, sitting in his chair, same as ever.  So he is not lost!  I go over to him, hoping Barbara will see that she’s mistaken.  I lick the hand that he holds out to me.

Mum says: “Look at Sam.  What do you think he’s doing?”

I watch as Barbara slowly turns towards Archie and me.  After a long time she answers:  “He can see something we can’t see.”

“Something – or someone,” says Mum.  “I remember this happening with a cat once.  Sam saw Peter after he’d passed on.”

Barbara’s face changes; her eyes have a new kind of light in them.  “Can you see Archie?” she asks me.

I bark: “Of course I can!”

“That’s unbelievable,” says Barbara, “and yet I can’t disbelieve you, Sam.  Thank you for showing me that Archie has only gone beyond my vision – and that in essence he’s still here with me.  I think it’s time to put the kettle on for a soothing cup of tea!”

No comments:

Post a Comment