Thursday 15 March 2012

PROMISING ENCOUNTER AT POBBLES



We’re on our way to Pobbles today.  We’re going down the sandy lane from the post office – where Mum bought a newspaper from Marion, who gave me a biscuit.  I like biscuits!  I also like Marion, who has a black dog that we sometimes see with her on the beach or the moors.  He isn’t always friendly, but he usually is.

Mum’s walking along the path.  I’m having more fun than she is - exploring all the sand dunes and sniffing trees and bushes.  I’m finding some brilliant sniffs.  What’s this?

I see that it’s a rabbit, looking at me worriedly and wondering whether to run for it.  Now there’s another rabbit … and another one.  The first rabbit seems to be feeling braver thanks to having company.  I think they want to play a game.  So I say: “Can I join in?”

“Only if you keep your distance,” they tell me, all speaking at once.  “You’re too big, really, to play with us.”

“Yes, I am big,” I agree, “but I’m gentle as well.  You’ve nothing to fear from me.  We could play ‘catch’.”

“How do you play that?” they chorus.

“You run, as fast as you can, and I try to catch you.”

They eye each other, then tell me: “That sounds a great game.  So, if – as you’re so much bigger than we are – you give us a head start, we’ll play.”

This seems a fair arrangement.  I let them get started and then bound after them.  I can see three white bobtails bobbing along in front of me and suddenly I can only see … a rabbit hole.

I can hear them inside, laughing, though.

Grumpily, I look up at Mum who smiles and says: “Never mind, Sam.  That’s all you can expect of rabbits.  Whereas … “

I look over to where she’s looking … and see, racing up from the beach towards me – a Beardie!


No comments:

Post a Comment