Monday 19 March 2012

PRETTY GIRL

She looks just like me, except she’s smaller – and prettier!  She’s the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen.  Her hair’s tied back with a bow, so her eyes are showing.  They are smiling at me and she seems pleased to see me, same as I am to see her.

Her nose is close to mine now and her fur is flying about as we bounce around getting to know one another.  This is wonderful fun! 

“It looks like love, doesn’t it?” says Mum to my new friend's human.  “It’s just occurred to me that your little girl is the first Beardie Sam has seen since leaving his brother and sisters.  So no wonder he’s showing such interest!  It’s as if their paws are on springs.”

“Beardies have built-in bounce, haven’t they?  I’m Maggie, by the way – and that’s Doodle.”

Our Mums are happy, chatting, and so are we.  Doodle runs off down the path to Pobbles and I run after her.  After a bit we both stop for a sniff and take time too to sniff each other.  “Have you been here before?” I ask.

“Of course!” she answers.  “But I’ve never seen you here.  Are you just a visitor?”

“No!” I tell her indignantly.  “We live quite near.”

“Who’s ‘we’?”

“Mum and me.”

She turns away, saying: “Race you into the sea!”

That’s my kind of challenge and I’m off before Doodle, who isn’t expecting me to move so soon.  I can see a gull just ahead on a higher level and he’s challenging me too, telling me that I’ll never run as fast as he can fly.

But I shall, because I’ve been practising … and because some day I’ll grow wings.  Faster and faster I run, down the path and across the beach.  Now I’m in the sea, with Doodle splashing in behind me and saying: “You started before I was ready!”

“Did I?”

“You know you did.  All the same, it was a good win.  Will we be racing again after this, do you think?”

I can tell from her question that she wants us to be friends, which makes me feel warm and sort of fuzzy.  I answer with hope in my heart: “Yes, we’d better be!”

Just then I hear Mum calling:  “Sam – time to go home.  I’ve invited Maggie and Doodle back for tea … “

No comments:

Post a Comment