Monday 16 April 2012

CAKE FOR TEA

I heard Mum say we're having cake for tea as it's my first birthday.  My friend Doodle is here with her Mum - and other friends, plus my sisters, are coming.  I've seen the cake. It's big, with chocolate and cream and cherries on top.  Mum has put it right at the back of the kitchen worktop to defrost.

Nobody is in the kitchen.  They're still out in the garden, chatting.  That's a waste of cake, isn't it?

I think I'll go and see how it's getting along. Doodle's coming with me.  But she's smaller than I am and when I put my front paws onto the worktop she can only watch from the floor.  No, I got that wrong!  She's doing her best to jump up but her best isn't quite good enough.

"Don't worry!" I tell her.  "We can share it."

I find that by stretching forward I can just get my teeth into the cake.  The more I stretch, the more I can eat.  "Remember me?" says Doodle.

With a bit of manoeuvring I manage to bring the cake close enough to put a paw in it and scoop some up.  Once I bring this onto the floor Doodle tucks in too and I'm soon licking cream from her nose so that our Mums don't suspect us of wrongdoing.

"What on earth are you two up to?"

It's Mum talking and now she's in the kitchen with us.  "Nothing!" we tell her in unison.

"You can't expect to look innocent with such evidence all around you," she says, sounding cross for some reason.  "That Black Forest Gateau wasn't meant for you - and I can't believe you could reach it, Sam, there at the back of the worktop.  I tend to forget you've been growing at a rate of knots.  If it hasn't fully defrosted - or even if it has - all that cream and chocolate will very likely make you sick, which you'll deserve for doing as you did."

"But it's my birthday," I protest, "and you said there'd be cake for tea!"

Her face softens.  "I've baked special doggy cakes, with healthier ingredients. As I'm sure you never meant to be bad, you and Noodle can have one of those each later - assuming you've room for more cake?"

In answer to that we both wag our tails ...

No comments:

Post a Comment